By Steve Bennish, Mark Gokavi and Katie Wedell
Dayton Daily News reporters Steve Bennish, Mark Gokavi and Katie Wedell examined hundreds of federal court documents and police reports and interviewed witnesses to piece together the events that led to a violent first two months of the year in Dayton.
There have been 11 homicides in Dayton in 2013 - 10 in two months. In the first three months of 2012 there were 6 homicides in the city.
- Bradlee Thompson, 30, was shot to death at about 3:30 a.m. on Jan. 1 inside 613 Hulbert St. Police identified one of the residents as the shooter and later ruled the death a justifiable homicide committed in self-defense.
- A woman walking her dog in Triangle Park Jan. 13 discovered the body of Eligio Cesar Hernandez, 44. Police said he had likely been stabbed somewhere else and his body moved to the park.
- Matthew Anderson, 20, was shot when someone fired into the residence at 4032 Prescott Ave. for the second time on Jan. 31. He died in his car several blocks away.
- Daniel Holt, 34, was shot by two Dayton Police sergeants Feb. 10 at Island Metropark after he allegedly pointed a SKS rifle at them and ignored commands to lower the weapon. Those officers recently returned to duty, but the investigation into the shooting continues.
- Oscar Beason, 95, was shot multiple times on or about Feb. 17. He was found at the bottom of the basement stairs at 1544 Hochwalt Ave. on Feb. 20.
- Jillian Miles, 27, was found shot to death inside her home at 160 W. Parkwood Ave. on Feb. 19.
- Jason Rutledge, 29, died at Good Samaritan Hospital on Feb. 20. Police later determined that he was shot at 2060 Ravenwood Ave. when an argument erupted over a game of dice. 25-year-old Tarrell Postell has been indicted on charges of murder, having weapons as a felon and felonious assault.
- Willie Boddie Jr., 28, was killed Feb. 22 when a gunman opened fire on a car in the parking lot of H&H Service Center, 2647 Riverview Ave.
- Charles Black Jr., 26, was shot in a car outside of 1610 Bancroft Street on Feb. 23.
- Briona Rodgers, 13, and her cousin Alonta Culpepper were shot at Rodgers home, 2512 Home Ave. on Feb. 24. Rodgers died and Culpepper was critically injured. Prosecutors have said they will seek the death penalty against Dameon Wesley, a convicted murderer who has been indicted in the shooting.
- Michael E. Neibert, 41, was shot and killed around 2 a.m. on March 14 during an argument with some neighbors at 3723 E. Third St.
Homicides in the city of Dayton since 2008